The trick is to think ahead about the areas where you want to grow.
Choose a growth area and you’ll start to notice opportunities – then you just need to give yourself a little encouragement to take one small step at a time.
Ideas for expanding your comfort zone
- Speaking up in meetings
- Wearing more interesting clothes
- Going somewhere new
- Starting a conversation with someone
- Seeing a different kind of movie
- Reading a book from an unfamiliar genre
- Going to a restaurant with cuisine you’ve never tried
- Traveling to a new holiday destination
- Shopping somewhere different
- Changing the order in which you do things
- Trying a new brand of something – anything!
- Doing something different at the gym
- Switching radio stations
- Buying music from a new artist or genre
Open yourself up to new things and you’ll find that as your comfort zone expands, so too does your confidence. Just be gentle with yourself!
In what areas would you like to expand your comfort zone?
Image by Yemisi Blake