By telling yourself ‘I better not forget…’?
Yelling ‘Hey [person you're with], remind me to…’?
A note in a diary? A post-it on your screen?
These reminders ignore how your mind works. You don’t check your reminder repository before everything you do, so things get forgotten.
A better system is to use ‘smart reminders’ – reminders placed where you’ll see them when you need to do the reminded action.
Use Smart Reminders
Here are some examples…
- Don’t want to forget your water bottle when you go to the gym, but right now the dishwasher’s running? Turn your gym bag upside down.
- Gotta take something with you? Leave it in front of the door.
- Several calls to make? Put the callee names on post-its and pop them on the phone.
- Keep forgetting to use your gift certificate? Put it in your wallet – in front of your credit card or cash.
- Wanna stop night-time snacking? Put those motivating photos right on the fridge/pantry door.
You get the idea. Whenever you think of something you want to remember, take the extra step of putting your reminder where you’ll be prompted at the right time. Voila! Instant memory improvement.
Question: What effective reminder techniques do you use?
Image by dharmacat