Welcome to the 30-Day Organize-athon!
In today’s 5 minutes we’re going to declutter by finding at least 12 things to give away.
Don’t worry – it’ll be easier than you think!
Day 27: Declutter By Donating A Dozen
Step 1: Grab a bag. Quickly fill the bag as you move through your home – and don’t stop until you have at least 12 items.
Throw into the bag anything that:
- You don’t use
- You don’t like
- Has negative associations
- Is no longer your style
- Keeps you stuck in the past
- Is more than you need to feel good about your space.
Ideas for Items To Donate
- Unloved rugs, throws and cushions
- Unloved ornaments, gifts, vases, etc
- Knickknacks that don’t enhance your space
- Extra pieces of furniture
- Unloved lamps
- No-longer used entertainment devices – TVs, DVD players, stereos, etc
- No-longer-played DVDs and CDs
- Excess stationery, notebooks, pens, etc
- Knickknacks that provide no meaning, beauty or inspiration
- Functioning phones, computers, cells, PDAs, etc that you don’t need
- Supplies, storage containers and accoutrements relating to abandoned craft, knitting, scrapbooking, and other projects
- Old lamps and equipment in good condition
- Anything (clothes, footwear, coats, purses, accessories, etc) you’ve not worn in a year
- Anything that doesn’t fit
- Anything that’s not your style
- Anything that’s unflattering on you
- Anything that’s uncomfortable, scratchy or ill-fitting (it may be perfect on someone else)
- Anything you bought ages ago that still has the label on it
- Anything with negative memories or associations
- Mismatched or unloved crockery
- Mismatched or unloved cutlery
- Cookware, plungers, teapots, gadgets, and sundry infomercial purchases not used in the past 12 months
- Cookbooks not used in the past 12 months
- Knickknacks you don’t love
- Fancy appliances you never use
- Doubles of utensils, cookware, etc
- Excess, unused towels, bathmats, etc
- Excess, unopened perfumes, lotions, etc
- Unloved bathroom ornaments
- Storage gizmos that encourage clutter
- No-longer-used toys
- No-longer-used games consoles
- Outgrown clothes
- Outgrown CDs, DVDs, etc
- Outgrown back-packs
- Unloved garden ornaments
Step 2: Take your bag straight out to the car for charity-store drop-off.
And you’re done!
Got an Extra 5 Minutes?
- Find another 12 or more items for donation.
- Set up a donation box or basket: Place it in a hall closet or the laundry (somewhere tidy that will still be a visual prompt), and use it any time you notice something unused or unloved in your home, wardrobe, car or office.
Now you’re a power donator!
The 30-Day Organize-athon Mantra
Move fast. Don’t overthink. Let it go!
Got a Question?
I’ll put together a special Q&A post and answer the questions for you.
Leave Your Comment Below…
Please leave your comment below to say you’ve completed today’s task.
See you tomorrow!
[Image by aussiegall]