Welcome to the 30-Day Organize-athon!
In today’s 5 minutes we’re going to declutter your exercise and sporting stuff.
OK, go! (PS That’s a witty little treadmill reference. )
Day 26: Declutter Your Exercise and Sports Equipment
Step 1: Quickly walk around your house collecting any exercise or sports paraphernalia you’ve not used in the past 12 months. If it’s too large to move easily, make a note of it.
- Living room (under laundry?)
- Under the bed
- At the back of your closet
- Spare room
- High-up cupboards
- Home office
- Forgotten corners
Be alert for:
- Treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical machines, rowers, Stairmasters, home gyms, etc.,
- Outdoor bikes
- Infomercial purchases, including anything in the Thigh Master or Ab Roller family
- Skipping ropes
- Boxing gloves
- Assorted balls
- Sport-specific shoes or outfits
- Supplies for kids’ abandoned activities
- Climbing equipment; etc.
Step 2: Depending on the size, quality and quantity of your stash, decide how you’ll dispose of it. Consider:
- Selling – if the number and quality of your items justifies the time and hassle required (unlikely)
- Donating – if the quality is good (possible)
- Discarding – if it’s really just junk (most likely – the vast majority of items will fall into this category).
If in doubt, let it go.
Step 3: Unless you have genuinely sale-worthy items, take your stash out to the trash, or out to the car for delivery to the tip or charity store. If you’re selling, make a note in your diary to organize it.
And you’re done!
Got an Extra 5 Minutes?
- Tidy the freshly liberated areas.
- Go for a walk around the block to make yourself feel good about getting rid of clutter and also getting some exercise.
Now isn’t that a good way to increase your heart rate?
The 30-Day Organize-athon Mantra
Move fast. Don’t overthink. Let it go!
Got a Question?
I’ll put together a special Q&A post and answer the questions for you.
Leave Your Comment Below…
Please leave your comment below to say you’ve completed today’s task.
See you tomorrow!
[Image by aussiegall]