Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.
Your living room is where you spend most of your down time and its surrounds can have a huge impact on your mental and emotional state.
If you’re space is about due for an upgrade, refresh or total makeover, then take a look at our easy fix ways to start creating the space you want.
7 Simple Tips To Revamp Your Living Space
1. Rearrange Furniture
Step 1 is simply to decide what the room is mostly used for.
- If it’s a TV room, then furniture can be arranged to suit best viewing positions.
- If you don’t watch TV much in your living room, and mainly use the the room for reading, then arrange the room to suit that activity. The best chair may not be in front of the TV at all, rather it’s next to the window for the best natural light.
Moving furniture around is the simplest and the most cost-effective way to create a new atmosphere at home.
Image credit: http://sincerelysarad.com/living-room-update/
2. Declutter The Space
Seriously, take a look around and throw out any item that it no longer useful or to your liking.
- It might simply be that some items belong in another room. Clothes, shoes, toys, musical instruments.
- Perhaps you have outgrown, or no longer need certain items. The DVDs from when the kids were little. The clock that stopped working a year ago but it was a gift so you think you should keep it.
All that extra clutter adds to extra cleaning and mess. Decluttering allows you more free time to focus on things you love to do.
If you need more support for decluttering tasks you can follow our free declutter clinic steps here.
Image credit: Metric Design
It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do to a room.
If you can afford to get a painter in, it’s well worth the cost. They move and protect existing furniture – so there’s little to be done by you in preparation.
If you prefer a DIY job, it takes a little more organization with moving furniture, drop sheets, time, patience, paint and brushes … but the result will be worth it.
- A change of color can do great wonders to your state of mind and outlook on life. Make it a little sunny and inspiring to brighten up a room.
- If you want the room to reflect your personality then paint something quirky or something your passionate about.
Image credit: bricobistro.com
A new coat of paint lifts a tired, worn out room and adds life without having to also change furniture or decor.
4. Change Curtains or Blinds
Curtain and blinds can outdate a room. Freshen your living space with the latest curtains or blinds.
- It might simply be the color of your curtains are outdated. A splash of color in the room can really change the mood.
- Old venetian blinds can be replaced with plantation shutters. Or new venetian blinds. There are plenty of budget home stores around who offer good value on blinds.
Image credit: Houzz
Having blinds or curtains that you love will change your attitude to the room and make time spent there more enjoyable.
5. Change Decor Lights
Lights directly affect the way a room looks and feels.
- If you use the living room as a place to collect your thoughts and relax, then you can get some beautiful lampshades that create a wonderful shadow effect on the wall.
- If you use your living space for craft or sewing, where you need strong, direct light, then you can buy some lovely free standing lamps that can easily be moved to other rooms too.
Image credit: Ikea
Portable lampshades are a good investment when you can locate them easily to other rooms. Setting your room up for functionality rather than aesthetics will motivate you to use the room more.
6. Add Plants
Plants will add life to a static room and refresh your outlook too.
- If you’re not home often, buy some fake plants. The quality of fake plants has improved greatly over the years so don’t write it off before you check it out!
- In-house real plants can be easy to look after so read the label before buying to make sure your plant is suited to your home.
Image credit: weloversize.com
Some studies show that having live plants in your home will purify the air, improve health and reduce fatigue and stress.
7. Invest in a Statement Piece
This tip might only be for the brave ones amongst us!
One statement piece in your living room can be a major talking point and asset to your living room.
- A beautiful Baby Grand
- A rug
- A painting
- A sculpture
can add real interest to your living area.
Image credit: Pinterest
Creating a wow factor in your home will please you and guests! It’s exciting when you see something you love. Add a little joy to your life everyday.
If you have revamped your living space before then please share what’s worked for you!