Recently on my Facebook Page I was asked how to get organized when you’re feeling completely exhausted and unmotivated.
I bet a lot of people wonder about that!
So here’s an edited version of my reply.
Step 1: Get Your Groove Back
- Forget about organizing for now, and focus instead on re-building your confidence and motivation.
- Spend what time and energy you have available on eating well, exercising, and resting.
- Expose yourself to positive, uplifting books, CDs, people, movies and music. As far as possible without stressing yourself out further, stay away from anything negative or draining.
- Get a check-up from your doc – who knows what underlying aliment, or even mild depression, might lurk below your malaise.
In short, make your main goal to get your groove back.
Step 2: Get Organized
As soon as you feel an upturn in motivation, even a small one, do at least one of these:
- Ask a friend, or hire a coach, to help you to clarify your goals. A simple list of 3 things you’d like to achieve is a great start. Then take action on these goals every day.
- Find a book or audiobook at the library or bookstore on goal-setting and motivation. I love Brian Tracy‘s books myself (Eat That Frog and Goals are faves).
- Check out my programs:
– Life & Goal Organizer is great if you want a self-paced, structured workbook for organizing your life and taking action on your goals
– 52 Organizing Missions helps you get rid of clutter and organize your home and time so you feel more in control of your life
– Goals & Priorities Diary is a neat way to turn your goals into tasks that you actually do each day.
The key is to focus on feeling better first. Then take advantage of your motivation as soon as it returns.
Let me know how you go. 🙂
Got A Question On Personal Organization, Productivity or Procrastination?
[Image by D’Arcy Norman]