How to Set SMART Goals
‘SMART’ is an acronym for 5 characteristics that help you set well-defined goals:
- Realistic Relevant
Say your goal is ‘To lose weight’. Here’s how to make it SMART…
Step 1: Make it Specific
‘To lose weight’ is vague. What exactly do you want your weight loss to look like?
- Specific: I’ll fit into my black skinny jeans
- It helps if: You can picture it clearly
Step 2: Make it Measurable
How precisely will you know when you’ve reached your goal? What’s at the finish line?
- Measurable: My black skinny jeans will zip up all the way
- It helps if: There’s an objective, defined point
Step 3: Make it Achievable
Here you run a reality check. Are you prepared to make the commitment your goal will take? If the skinny jeans are 12 sizes away, are you willing to dramatically alter your life? Is there a more achievable target you are willing to to work for?
- Achievable: My black skinny blue bootleg jeans will zip up all the way
- It helps if: Your goal and your commitment level are well matched
Step 4: Make it Realistic Relevant
Some people use Realistic here, but Achievable covers that territory. Instead, I suggest you make your goal Relevant to your life and other priorities. If it’s a ‘should’ inherited from someone else or out-of-date thinking, ditch or revise it.
For instance, if a weight-loss buddy thinks your goal should be to finish a marathon but you loathe running, competition and the outdoors, choose something else. Make it relevant to you or you’ll run out of steam early on.
- Relevant: My black skinny blue bootleg jeans will zip up all the way – which is relevant to my goals of being healthy and looking my best
- It helps if: You aren’t fighting with yourself to reach your objective
Step 5: Make it Time-Framed
What’s a reasonable date for achieving your goal? Strike a balance between being so ambitious you never expect to succeed and aiming so low you lack incentive to try. You can tweak the date as you make progress.
- Time-Framed: My black skinny blue bootleg jeans will zip up all the way – which is relevant to my goals of being healthy and looking my best – by July 1 2009.
- It helps if: The time frame is close enough to energize you (sometimes you need a series of sub–goals)
Optimize your chance of goal success: Bonus Steps
To really boost your likelihood of reaching that outcome, here are some extra questions to ask yourself during goal-setting activities. These move you from planning and strategizing to action.
1. What resources do you need?
Make a list of all the things, people and information you need to achieve your objective. For instance:
- Ask Sally to be my goal buddy
- Buy comfortable walking shoes
- Buy a rain hoodie
- Get some motivation magazines
2. What needs to be scheduled in your diary?
Most goals need time and activities – make sure you have these allocated in your diary. For instance:
- Schedule 3 x 30-minute walks per week
- Schedule 2 x bike rides per week
- Schedule menu planning
- Schedule menu shopping
3. What milestones are important along the way?
It helps keep up your motivation if you mark your progress along the way with rewards. Start by deciding which milestones to reward. For instance:
- Jeans go over my knees
- Jeans go over my hips
- Jeans zip up with effort
- Jeans zip up comfortably (final)
4. What rewards will you give yourself for reaching those milestones?
Next, choose your rewards. For instance:
- Jeans go over my knees – Get a manicure
- Jeans go over my hips – Get a pedicure
- Jeans zip up with effort – Get a facial
- Jeans zip up comfortably – Get a full-body massage
Follow these steps and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your goal.
Life & Goal Organizer – A SMART Goal System
- This is perhaps my most popular product – loved by people who have too many goals and too little mind space to process them all.
- It’s like a giant, 340-page checklist of things you might like to do, broken down into 12 life areas. There are hundreds of big and little ideas for life goals and projects.
- Because I like things organized, it has an overview of life areas so you can keep a big picture view, while also being able to click through and drill down to more detailed checklists.
- And as it’s interactive, you can keep track of what you’ve achieved – and what you have yet to do.
- Plus it contains SMART Goal Planners for each life area.
- I doubt there’s anything as comprehensive or well-designed for prompting you to move forward on a wide range of life goals. She says modestly.
Free SMART Goal Planner Template
I’ve got a great tool to help you – a Goal Planner Template that guides you through all the steps above. It’s fully interactive too – you can enter your text onscreen, save, print, and re-use. Simply save the PDF or open it with Adobe Reader. Let me know what you think!
Here’s how to use the SMART Goal planner. In this example we set a goal of 25 push-ups in a row.
51 thoughts on “Smart Goals: 5 Steps To Smart Goal Setting (With Free Goal Planner Template)”
Pingback: ASSIGNMENT Feel free to use peer reviewed scholarly article sources published no later than 2016.
Pingback: Feel free to use peer reviewed scholarly article sources published no later than 2016. - College Alfa
Pingback: Think about a time when you’ve engaged a cultural group that is different from your own - QualityPaperHelp
Quality articles or reviews is the crucial to invite the people to visit the web
page, that’s what this website is providing.
Greetings, I was just checking out your website and submitted this message via your contact form. The “contact us” page on your site sends you these messages via email which is the reason you’re reading through my message at this moment correct? This is the holy grail with any kind of online ad, getting people to actually READ your advertisement and that’s exactly what I just accomplished with you! If you have an ad message you would like to blast out to thousands of websites via their contact forms in the U.S. or anywhere in the world send me a quick note now, I can even target particular niches and my costs are very low. Write a reply here: firstname.lastname@example.org
What i do not understood is actually how you’re no longer
really much more smartly-appreciated than you may be right now.
You’re so intelligent. You know therefore significantly in relation to
this topic, made me personally consider it from so many
varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated until it
is something to do with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding.
All the time maintain it up!
Are you trying to find powerful advertising that doesn’t charge a fortune and gets amazing resuts? I apologize for sending you this message on your contact form but actually that’s exactly where I wanted to make my point. We can send your ad message to sites via their contact pages just like you’re getting this note right now. You can target by keyword or just start mass blasts to websites in any country you choose. So let’s say you need to blast an ad to all the mortgage brokers in the United States, we’ll scrape websites for only those and post your ad text to them. As long as you’re advertising something that’s relevant to that niche then you’ll be blessed with awesome results!
Send an email to email@example.com to find out how we do this
Need to find effective online promotion that isn’t completely full of it? I apologize for sending you this message on your contact form but actually that was the whole point. We can send your advertising copy to sites via their contact pages just like you’re receiving this note right now. You can target by keyword or just go with bulk blasts to websites in any country you choose. So let’s assume you need to blast a message to all the real estate agents in the US, we’ll grab websites for only those and post your ad text to them. Providing you’re promoting something that’s relevant to that type of business then you’ll get awesome results!
Type up a quick note to firstname.lastname@example.org for the details
Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the challenges.
It was truly informative. Your site is very useful.
Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for finally talking about >Smart Goals Template: 5 Steps To SMART Goal Setting (With Free Goal Planner
Template) <Liked it!
I think this is one of the such a lot vital info for me.
And i’m glad studying your article. But wanna observation on some
basic issues, The website style is wonderful, the articles is truly nice : D.
Just right activity, cheers