Today is the first day of winter in Australia, where I live.
I love the idea of making a fresh start with a new season.
A new season can offer a boost of energy and sense of possibility a bit like the January 1 effect. I always try to take advantage of it by adding a few new things to my life. Somehow, they add zing to my personal and business goals and rejuvenate my energy.
Some of the things I’m starting afresh today include:
- Starting a brand new notebook, where I write my own version of morning pages most days
- Using a new pen – it’s pink and has strawberries on it
- Using a new candle in my office for my productivity ritual
- Tossing out old skincare and opening new stuff – my skin gets very dry and I turn to industrial-strength emollients for the winter
- Refreshing my exercise program by trying the new sculpt class at my gym (it starts next week)
- Focusing on a new habit of working my core muscles while I sit at my desk
- Treating myself to a new lip gloss
- Beginning a new phase of my current work project.
I generally recommend you have less stuff. But occasionally buying something new can refresh your perspective and break you out of the motivation doldrums, especially when it comes to your personal presentation, fitness, or business and career goals.
Of course, just be sure to discard all the old stuff to avoid clutter!
Reboot Your Own Motivation
Wherever you are and whatever time of year it, you can reboot your own motivation by introducing a few new things to your life.
- Buy a new outfit, or start wearing something you’ve been oversaving
- Begin reading a new motivational or inspirational book, course or program (you can always check out mine! )
- Refresh your stationery – buy yourself a lovely new pen or notebook
- Try a new class at the gym or hire a personal trainer
- Get a new hair cut or color
- Buy yourself some new bed linen in a color or print you’ve not bought before.
What will you hit the reset button on? I’d love to know!
[Image by Kelly Colgan Azar]