The following post was kindly written by one of our longest Get Organized Wizard members, Terry.
How I Said Goodbye
The following are things I did to have closure and say good bye to my first husband:
1. Write an article of the good and positive times you had together
Purchase colored file folders and place the name on the tab
For Christmas give as gifts to relatives and friends who knew him/her
2. Write a poem
3. Decide what to keep
Handmade arts and crafts
Favorite stuffed animal
Suitcase with items left in
4. Complete sorting out belongings
- Distribute to family and friends then donate the rest
5. Put a memory box together with small items
6. Put a photo album together
- Tell a story of your time together and create captions for each photo
7. On their next birthday have a few friends in for cake and ice cream
- Mark the occasion with the sentiment that this one’s for you but my life is going on
8. First anniversary write a letter
- Write how you miss them and tell him/her how your life is going on without them
Upon completion of the above you should have closure and your new life will continue on.
We thank you Terry for sharing your experience with us.
If you seek grief and bereavement support, here are some links that may help: