Do you need some motivation to help you get things done today? Work through those feelings of overwhelm with these quick tips.
Quick Tips To Overcome The Feeling Of Overwhelm
1. Determine Tasks vs Projects
- Tasks are small and doable things.
- Projects are big tasks that require planning and time management.
- Equate each thing you need to do into something that can be addressed right away and into something that needs time and focus to help you plan your actions.
2. Set Goals
- If something HAS to be done today, plan to achieve the minimal outcome desired, then progress from that point.
- If you need to motivate yourself, make small goals for every hour.
- Use the SMART goal technique to help you set relevant and achievable goals.
3. Use A Timer
- Setting a timer not only helps you with time management, it also puts you in the right mindset to complete the task.
- Using a timer will boost your productivity and mental alertness. You’ll be trying to “beat the clock”.
4. Say No
- Say no to unimportant things or disruptions.
- Don’t “check your phone/Facebook for 5 minutes” – you know this will lead to longer browsing time.
- Don’t answer the phone, reply to emails or stop to chat when you know your focus needs to be elsewhere today.
5. Resist Control
- Understand that you cannot control everything.
- Don’t beat yourself over things that are out of your hands.
- Be realistic and don’t take things personally.
6. Avoid Negative Self-Talk
- Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies. Don’t listen to the insecurity in your head, trust yourself.
- Avoid negative people who bring down your spirit.
7. Eliminate Perfectionism
- Accept that no-one is perfect.
- Sometimes getting the job done well instead of perfectly is more important.
- Unless you’re a brain surgeon, cut yourself some slack when working under pressure.
8. Ask For Help
- Human connection can help lift your mood.
- Accept that there are some things you cannot do and ask for help.
- Ask trusted friends or neighbours who are willing to help you.
Tools To Help You Overcome The Feeling Of Overwhelm
There are also some tools you can try to help you reduce the feeling of overwhelm.
The Focus Booster app will help you achieve focus through the Pomodoro method. It can eliminate anxiety as well once you start to focus. They say; “Based on the pomodoro technique, focus booster will empower you to maintain focus and manage distractions. Stay focused and fresh to get more done.”
Toggl is the ultimate timer that will help you track time you spend on projects & will help you avoid procrastination. They say; “Toggl’s time tracker is built for speed and ease of use. Time logging with Toggl is so simple that you’ll actually use it. Toggl drives a stake in the heart of timesheets.”
Focus At Will
Music lovers will enjoy this one. The Focus At Will app will do as promised, help increase your attention span! They say; “the app involves scientifically engineered music proven to increase focus and reduce distractions”.
Share your quick tips and tools with us to overcome overwhelm.