Welcome to Mission #39 of our 52 Get Organized Missions.
Do you feel stressed just looking around your home or office?
If you’ve forgotten what your coffee table, countertop or desk looks like, then this organizing mission is for you.
I bet you’re feeling good about completing the previous missions Get Organized Mission #37: Get Organized For Nutrition and Get Organized Mission #38: Get Organized For Fitness. Now you’re refreshed let’s get your home or office looking better.
Remember: you only need 30 minutes for the basic mission. Extended Options are below.
If you’re new, you might like to start here -> 52 Organizing Missions.
Get Organized Mission #39:
Declutter Your Surfaces
Step 1: Clear The Surfaces (5 minutes)
Let’s start by choosing an area to target.
In 30 minutes you could tackle one or more of these surfaces:
- Kitchen counters
- Bathroom counters
- Coffee table
- Dining table
- Spare room floor.
Once you’ve picked your zone, remove everything from the surfaces and place all the items on the floor.
Step 2: Lose What You Don’t Need (5 minutes)
You knew this step would appear somewhere, didn’t you!
Scan your pile of items and put aside anything you can discard or donate.
Be ruthless. Your rewards for ruthlessness are clutter-free surfaces, visual calm and mental clarity. That’s a pretty good trade off, don’t you think?
Step 3: Put Things Away (5 minutes)
Of the remaining items, gather those that have a home, but have somehow migrated onto your surfaces and taken up residence there.
It’s time to send them back where they belong, so quickly return everything to its proper place.
Step 4: House The Homeless (15 minutes)
This is the hardest step – finding a home for things you do need, but don’t have a place for.
Here are some tips:
- Do these things end up on your surfaces because you need them in a handy location?
–> Then give them a home in a nearby drawer or cupboard.
- Do they need you to take some action – perhaps a repair?
–> Then put the action on your to-do list.
- Do they relate to a reminder – like a book to return?
–> Then create a special zone for such items, perhaps in a cupboard or on a table by the door.
- Do they not fit in the proper place – say clothes that won’t squish into an overflowing closet?
–> Then schedule another 30 minutes to revisit the relevant organizing mission (office? bedroom? closet? kitchen? bathroom?). Get rid of stuff you don’t love and make room for stuff you do.
Once you’ve found a home for those remaining items, you’ll be able to savor your surfaces. 🙂
Dos & Don’ts
- Do notice how good it feels to look around and see surfaces. Let that feeling motivate you to get rid of what you don’t need and put away what you do.
- Do keep select items – like photos or plants – to decorate the room or make you feel happy.
- Don’t let clutter pile up. Make a habit of tidying away surface clutter at the end of each day.
Extended Organizing Mission Options
Want to go beyond this 30-minute organizing mission?
- Include the family. Assign a surface to each family member, so you can clear the house together.
- Do the mission as a group. Get together several friends with clutter concerns and spend an afternoon going from house to house as a team of clutter-killers.
Ready, Set, Go!
Remember – move quickly, act fast, don’t overthink.
Before You Go: Check In!
Please add a comment to say you’ve completed this week’s Get Organized Mission and you’re keeping your commitment.
And see you back here next week!
DID YOU KNOW:
You can get your weekly organizing mission delivered to your inbox.
Click here to sign up for 52 Organizing Missions.