Welcome to our first challenge! This is going to feel so good!
Today we’re going to start by simplifying the space we live in. Over the 21 days we’ll return to our space again and again, but today we’re going a make a start.
Choose Option 1 for the quick and easy version or Option 2 if you want to go deeper.
Ready? Let’s do it!
Here’s today’s Simplify Your Life Challenge…
Option 1 (10-15 Minutes)
Go find yourself a large bag or box or several small bags or receptacle(s) of any kind. Anything!
Move through your living areas and collect things to put into your bag that are:
- No longer your taste or style
- Doubles of things you already have
- Not used in the past year
- Associated with bad memories
- Covered in dust
- Associated with abandoned projects or hobbies.
Look out for:
- Magazines older than last month
- Newspapers older than today
- Deceased plants
- Unloved gifts
- Outgrown toys, DVDs, books, and games
- Abandoned sports or exercise equipment
- Stuff that’s left in the living area because no one really cares about it
- Displayed photos or other items that hold no meaning for you
- Decrepit cushions, rugs, throws
- Old games consoles, media players, entertainment devices
- Videos, cassettes, computer floppies, camera film – any storage device for which you no longer have hardware.
Set a phone or oven timer for 10 or 15 minutes. Don’t stop gathering until the timer goes off.
If you feel like sorting things to donate from things to toss, then go ahead. But if you’re drowning in chaos then give yourself permission to just get the stuff out of your house, and do better next time.
Option 2 (Extended)
Complete Option 1 but keep going until you have at least 50-100 items.
This is easier than you think. The average home has hundreds of these items cluttering up the living areas.
Get your family to join in if you like.
Take a Pic
Take a picture of your pile of things to discard.
Post your pic to Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter using hashtag #21DaySimplify. Search this hashtag to see other people’s pics.
Rule#1: Don’t Over-Think
We are simplifying. If you find yourself trying to complicate this, then b-r-e-a-t-h-e and relax.
Rule #2: Move Quickly.
You can’t over-think or be a perfectionist if you stay in action mode. Keep moving.
Rule #3: Let It Go.
You cannot simplify if you’re determined to keep everything, hold on to every habit, and fight every change. Let. It. Go.
So, how was Day #1?
Please leave a comment to stay accountable and to let me know how today’s challenge was for you.